Monday 12 August 2013

#BookReview Been Loving You Too Long #Interview @MissSeraphinaD

Happy Monday, folks. I'm excited to be hosting the lovely Seraphina Donavan today. She's chatting about her new book Been Loving You Too Long. Keep reading to check out my review of her book at the end of the interview.

Please make her feel welcome and leave a comment or ask a question.

On to the interview...

Q1) Hi Seraphina, welcome to my blog. Can you tell us a little about yourself


Well, I’m still working the day job, in spite of a little hiccup in employment.  I’m not married, but I am seeing someone. No kids, unless you count the furry kind.  I’m a total geek and I love to nerd out at Renaissance Fairs, Comic and Sci Fi Festivals.  I have a master’s degree in mental health counseling, which I am not currently using. I’m also Southern through and through. I’ve lived in either Tennessee or Kentucky my whole life. 

Twitter: @MissSeraphinaD
Gmail:  SeraphinaDonavan@gmail.com


Q2) Your southern background comes through in your story. Have you always wanted to be an author?


I think I always was an author, even before I could write.  I blame it on the soap operas that I watched at my grandmother’s house.  I was the only kid I know whose Barbie had an evil twin sister locked in the attic. 


Q3) LOL @ evil twin Barbie. Who are some of your favorite writers? Who do you feel has influenced your writing?


I’ve always loved Nora Roberts, Jude Deveraux, Joanna Lindsey.  Recently, I’ve discovered Elle James, Jayne Ryland. I also love Leanore Elliott.  Leanore is not just an author, but also my editor, my cover artist, my formatter.  Working with her has made me a better writer. 


Q4) Such wonderful authors. Can you tell us what a typical writing day for you is like. 


Oh lord.  Is there such a thing?  I work, and depending on how busy/weird/exhausting the day is, determines how much writing I get done at night.  I typically have a billion ideas floating around in my head at any given time, so it’s always a challenge to get them all down before I forget them!


Q5) Ha. I totally sympathize about the billion ideas. Let’s talk about your new book.  Can you tell us a little about it?


My latest book is set in New Orleans. It’s very much a typical category romance, in terms of forbidden love, a forced marriage, a wealthy hero and a heroine who works for the family. It was a fun write, though.  Vincent and Ophelia really came to life for me, and right now I’m working on the second book in the series, Have a Little Faith In Me, which is the story of the next DuChamps sibling, Kaitlyn.

BLURB: Ophelia Broulliard’s life has always been linked to the wealthy and powerful DuChamps family. The granddaughter of the family’s housekeeper, she’s worshipped Vincent DuChamps from afar--the ever unattainable prince in her fairy tale dreams. Little does she know that Vincent harbors his own secret feelings for her, but other darker secrets that he sees as an insurmountable obstacle to ever being the man she deserves, have prompted him to avoid her altogether.

When Thomas, the family patriarch dies, his will bears some unpleasant surprises for them both. Thomas wants nothing more than for Vincent and his siblings to be happy, and in his final act as the only father figure they’ve ever had, engineers a series of contingencies in his will that require them each to face their demons. Only too aware of what Vincent really feels for Ophelia, Thomas creates a situation that will force Vincent to confront his feelings. Unless, Vincent and Ophelia marry, Vincent and his siblings will lose everything, including the family business.

Forced into such close proximity, denying their attraction for one another becomes impossible. But even as they grow closer, other threats to the future of DuChamps Hotels and all that Vincent holds dear threaten to destroy their burgeoning relationship. Ophelia has played it safe her whole life. Taking a risk on Vincent is a frightening prospect. Will it be worth it, or will his secrets break both their hearts?

Q6) I have to say I loved reading your book. How did you come up with the idea for this story?


I wish I could answer that.  They just creep in and then they won’t go away until I write them. 


Q7) What is up next for you?


Well, Have a Little Faith In Me is next.  Then I’m working on an anthology arranged by the ever fabulous Nikki McCarver with the theme of “Wickedness”. 


Q8) What is the best piece of advice you would give to a budding writer?


Just keep writing.  Don’t let people discourage you, but don’t assume that all criticism is bad. People will pick apart your writing, but you have to have a thick skin. Read your reviews.  All of them.  Even the bad ones.  Some of them are nasty, but some of them will give you little gems of wisdom on how to give readers what they want. 


Q9) What is the next book on your To Read Pile that you are dying to jump into?


I am working on Sabrina Jeffrie’s back list. 


Q10) Is there anything else you would like to add?


Thank you so much for having me today!


Favorite Quiz

Favorite city: New Orleans

Favorite beverage:  Bellinis

Favorite place you’d like to visit:  Some place tropical is calling my name at the moment.

Favorite place to write:  In bed.  It’s horrible, I know. 

Favorite hobby:  Writing. 

Favorite movie:  Ladyhawke

Favorite book:  A Gracious Plenty by Sheri Reynolds



My Review:

This story reminds me of why I enjoy reading category contemporary romance—the  on-page interactions between the hero and heroine, the hook of the heart-tugging emotional conflict, and the sizzling romance. This book had it all.

I loved the hero, Vincent DuChamps. I totally bought his conflict. He is the epitome of the tycoon with a dark past (tortured hero = big smile for me). Ophelia is my kind of girl. Although she is supposedly Ms goody, she's strong and flawed. They are truly a match for each other, although they had to be forced together to realize it.

Have I mentioned that this story sizzled from page to page. There was never a dull moment. And also the set up for the next stories in the series are done well so much so that I'm awaiting the next book.

The author's writing style is so easy to read that you get swept along with the story, living the scenes through the eyes of the characters.  My only pet-peeve was the head-hopping in some places. But then again this is my personal preference. I know some people don't mind it.

Several times I was reminded of stories by some of my favorite Harlequin authors. This story has the glamour of a Harlequin Desire with the steaminess of a Harlequin Blaze.

My Verdict: 

I loved this story. In fact I'm already stalking Amazon for the next book in the series. I want to read Kaitlyn's story!

My Recommendations: 

I would recommend this story to all lovers of steamy romance.

My Rating: 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments. Please share your thoughts.
If you're having problems using blogger to comment, please use the Facebook comment box at the bottom. Thank you.

The Romance Reviews