Monday 30 June 2014

Welsh Wench Writes Westerns-Meet @MissWishlade #Sexy #Cowboys

Happy Monday, people! I interviewed author Molly Ann Wishlade on my blog today. Check out our conversation and say hello.
***


Q1) Welcome to my blog, Molly. Can you tell us a little about yourself

I live in Wales in the UK with my family and pets. I teach by day and write by night.

Q2) Have you always wanted to be an author?

I always harbored a dream to write and I had a short story, some poems and a travel guide published but I thought that getting a novel published was one of those things that happens for other people. So I got on with life and kept myself busy with other things. However, to cut a long story short (and it is quite a long story) I felt the urge to write building again until I just couldn’t ignore it any longer. So I got writing. I went through the whole submission / rejection / submission / revise and resubmit process several times before I wrote my debut novella Desire in Deadwood and finally got that wonderful email!

The best decision I made was to stop procrastinating and dreaming and to just get on with it and put my work out there. It wasn’t easy and like many authors I’ve shed a few (thousand) tears along the way but I try to remember what a good friend told me about the whole process: ‘Write for yourself and write what you want to write, otherwise you will not be true to your author voice and you won’t be happy with your writing.’ So I try to write from the heart. I am a firm believer that love and passion do exist in very powerful forms and sometimes in life we have to make difficult choices, but in spite of these choices, we are still entitled to happiness. Life is too short not to grab it while you can.


Q3) Who are some of your favorite writers? Who do you feel has influenced your writing?

This is difficult to answer because I am influenced by so many things and so many people. I have a great many friends who are authors and I feel that naming them individually might mean that I leave someone out (which I would hate to do) but I have been influenced by them and by everything I’ve ever read. So thank you to each and every one of you for your inspiration! However, I also believe that it’s incredibly important to be true to your own author voice, so whilst I may be inspired, I would never try to imitate anyone else’s style.

Q4) Can you tell us what a typical writing day for you is like. 

As I work fulltime and have a young family, I write whenever and wherever I get the chance. Some days are hard when I’m tired and I have a thousand things demanding my immediate attention but I do what I can and I try not to be too hard on myself. So writing mainly occurs in the evening, on the chair or sofa with my headphones in, or at weekends and during school holidays.

Q5) Let’s talk about your new book.  Can you tell us a little about it?

the book is the first in a series called The Duggans of Montana. The series is about the life and loves of a family living on a small Montana homestead in the 1870s.

Q6) How did you come up with the idea for this story?

The title for this one came to me first. I could hear a man shouting “I’ll not have folks saying the Duggans keep a harlot at their homestead.” Then, as the plot began to work itself out, before I even began to write it down, I had an image of a young woman with scarred arms and a deep, dark secret.

Q7) What is up next for you?

Well, I’ve had a busy year. My debut novella Desire in Deadwood came out with Totally Bound last August and since then I’ve published another four. I’ve just completed the second in The Duggans of Montana series called A Rancher for Rosie (it’s the story of Kenan Duggan’s twin sister) and I’ll be sending it to my editor this week. I have also written a mini-series of three historical westerns based around women in Deadwood which is currently in edits with Carina UK. So that’s nine books in a year, whilst working full time as a teacher and managing a house, family and two dogs! No wonder I get tired. But I love writing and I hope, one day, to be able to do it full time. So if I’m writing fulltime in two years, I’ll be living the dream.

Q8) What is the best piece of advice you would give to a budding writer?

Never surrender your dreams! If you want to do this then stop procrastinating and just do it! The path isn’t an easy one and you’ll have to work hard – I write whenever I have any free time, even when I’m exhausted – but it’s something that I love doing.
But be warned!!! Writing is addictive and once you start…;)

Q9) What is the next book on your To Read Pile that you are dying to jump into?             

Oh I have a Kindle full!

Q10) Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thank you for hosting me at your blog today! J

Favorite Quiz

Favorite city: New York
Favorite beverage: Day: Earl Grey Tea, Night: Wine or single malt whisky
Favorite place you’d like to visit: New York
Favorite place to write: Home surrounded by my family
Favorite hobby: Writing (although it’s a bit more than a hobby now) so the next up is reading
Favorite movie: Dirty Dancing
Favorite book: Jane Eyre





Title: Harlot at the Homestead
Genre: Historical Western
Series: The Duggans of Montana, Book #1
Publisher: Totally Bound
Word Count: Short Novel – 33,707 words


Series Blurb:

The Duggans of Montana work hard and play harder.
Kenan Duggan looks out for his twin sister Rosie, and Matthew and Emmett, their two younger brothers. The Wild West is a tough place to live and each one strives to carve out their life on the land whilst battling the prejudices, contradictions and restrictions of an ever changing society.
They say that blood is thicker than water…but can these siblings find love and still hold on to family ties?

Harlot at the Homestead Blurb:

Sometimes retribution finds its own way but sometimes it needs a helping hand.
When Catherine Montgomery shows up at Kenan Duggan’s homestead, she expects him to be surprised. She’s been gone two years and she’s devastated to hear that her former fiancé was forced to give her up for dead.
Catherine never stopped thinking about Kenan and hoped that they’d be reunited one day. She has suffered at the hands of another but nothing tortured her as much as being apart from the man she loves. She doubts, however, that Kenan will be able to forgive her when she reveals her secrets.
As Kenan battles his desire for revenge, their mutual desire reawakens like a creek bed in the rain, and soon they are swept up in rediscovering their all-consuming passion.
Retribution often finds its own way in the Wild West and the men to blame for Catherine’s disappearance may well find themselves paying for their crimes in unexpected ways.
That’s if Kenan doesn’t get to them first!







Total-E-Bound Blogspot on 12th of every month: http://totalebound.blogspot.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments. Please share your thoughts.
If you're having problems using blogger to comment, please use the Facebook comment box at the bottom. Thank you.

The Romance Reviews